Believe in Prayer: Not in Magic

From the Old Testament of Genesis, to the New Testament of Revelation, Jesus Christ embodies the word of God; for Jesus is The Word.

The believer knows – “For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.” Hebrews 4:12 NKJV – and that’s what we believe.

Prayer changes things; it is effective and realized in many different ways. We pray with Adoration to God the self-existent one, who created all things - we pray with Confession to God for forgiveness of our sins in the name of Jesus - we pray with Thanksgivingto God for his many blessings (if you think you’re not blessed consider the air you breathe right now), and then we go to God with Supplication - praying earnestly and humbly, asking for something; always in the name of Jesus, our Lord.

The Bible, read it! And learn about the great prayers of God’s chosen messengers: Abraham’s prayer for Sodom and Gomorrah (Genesis 18: 23-33), to Jacob wrestling with the angel at Peniel (Genesis 32: 22-31), and how in prayer Moses held God to promises made to the children of Israel; and let us not forget the way Aaron, Samuel, Solomon, and Hezekiah interceded for the people of Israel. God even spoke to Solomon regarding Israel’s obedience and prayers (2 Chronicles 7:14).

King David was a man of prayer, a man after God’s own heart; in Psalm 51 we read his prayer of repentance, and the prophets of old were all men who prayed. Consider Daniel – The Book of Daniel – He prayed three times a day; effectively!

Jesus set an example for the importance of prayer in his time here on earth. (John 17; Matthew 6: 5-15, Luke 18:1-8)

The early church is characterized by prayer (Acts 2: 42), and it is in Paul’s writings that the theology of prayer is fully developed. The apostle Paul was a praying man.

The Christian’s prayer is rooted in the intercession of Christ and in the enabling of the Spirit of God. (Hebrews 13:15; 1Peter 2:5)

There are various elements in prayer and the believer knows that prayer changes things.

The Lord’s Prayer:

Our Father in heaven,

May your name be kept holy,

May your Kingdom come soon.

May your will be done on earth,

as it is in heaven.

Give us today the food we need,*

and forgive us our sins,

as we have forgiven those who sin against us.

And don’t let us yield to temptation,*

but rescue us from the evil one.* Matthew 6: 9-13 NLT

CMBBR, Inc. / True-Love-Express

04-your-servants-prayer-a-testimonial

Share and Enjoy:
  • Digg
  • Sphinn
  • del.icio.us
  • Facebook
  • Mixx
  • Google

Tags:

6 Responses to “Believe in Prayer: Not in Magic”

1. Velma says:

Thank you for sharing the truth on prayer. I once heard one of my favourite people say something that has always stuck with me (Joyce Meyers). She pointed out that when we have a need we ask every Tom, Dick and Harry; we scramble around asking other humans as weak and fallible as we are to “solve our problems,” or “help us out of a situation.” We pick up the phone and call everyone….and then and only then, when we’ve exhausted all “human resources”, as a LAST RESORT, we collapse and cry out to YHWH for help. She ended with saying that what we should be doing in such times is to “run to the THRONE (room of YHWH) and NOT the phone” first and foremost - we should seek Him in Prayer!

My dear brother in Yahshua - our weapons of warfare are indeed prayer and they rise up like incense to the Throne Room of our Heavenly Abba!

May you continue to be blessed and a blessing to others with your site, your music ministry and all that you do!

It is my Sabbath…so I wish you “Shabbat Shalom!”

2. Ernie says:

Hi Velma,

Thank you for visiting my “blog” and for your profound comments; so nice to hear from you.

May His blessing be on you continually,

trueloveexpress

3. Velma says:

Hi Ernie,

In line with the intent of this blog topic, I thought I’d share something I posted on my own blog about “praying in YHWH’s name.” I hope it is enlightening to you and your readers. This is the hyperlink to that particular article on my blog, where you can also find other postings I’ve made: http://shammahspace.ca/blogs//blog1.php/2009/02/16/praying-yhwh-s-name-s

Velma a.k.a. “Shammah”

PRAYING YHWH’S NAME(S)

Some of us know that the Scripture tells us in many places that if we call upon His Name, He will hear us and will answer us; or all who seek my Name…things like that.

There are many “names” by which He is known throughout the Bible/Torah/Tanakh, starting in Genesis through to Revelation. They are not all introduced and given in the opening chapters of Genesis; if you study this aspect of the Torah, you will see the “Names” by which He becomes known, are “Names” befitting a characteristic or quality of the makeup of Who He is in Totality.

I am simply listing some of those “Names” in their Hebrew with the equated English translation. Perhaps it will give someone something to meditate upon…..They are listed in the order as they are revealed in the Torah, starting with Genesis.

Elohim - G-d, Mighty Creator

El Roi - The G-d Who Sees Me

El Shadday(Shaddai) - G-d Almighty (one of my favourites and possibly because of a modern day Christian song - and by the way there is also a Judaic song by the exact name)

El Olam - The Everlasting G-d or The Eternal G-d

Yahweh Yireh - The L-rd Will Provide

Yahweh - L-rd

Adonay (Adonai) - L-rd, Master

Yahweh Rophe - The L-rd Who Heals [As I post this article I think of what's happening here in North America - how this land, this economy could use some 'healing'; we seek man's help to correct man's errors; why not seek the Creator's help?]

Yahweh Nissi - The L-rd My Banner

Esh Oklah, El Kanna - Consuming Fire, Jealous G-d

Qedosh Yisrael - Holy One of Israel
    Yahweh Shalom - The L-rd is Peace (Oh boy, do I need this one; does the world need this!)

Yahweh Tsebaoth -The L-rd of Hosts

Yahweh Tsuri - The L-rd is My rock

Yahweh Roi - The L-rd is My Shepherd

Hashem - The Name

Melek - King

Ish - Husband

El Chay - Living G-d

Maon, Machseh, Magen, Metsuda, Migdal-Oz - Dwelling Place, Refuge, Shield, Fortress, Strong Tower

Shophet - Judge

Miqweh Yisrael - Hope of Israel

Yahweh Tsidqenu - The L-rd Our Righteousness

El Elyon - God Most High

Yahweh Shammah - The Lord is There (I am also told that the name Shammah - which by the way, you’ll see is my pen name and was the one word I spoke when baptized…but didn’t find out the meaning until 2 years later!!! - is the name of the New Jerusalem….pretty awesome…)

Ab, Abba, Pater - Father

So, there you are; some things to think about and perhaps start using when we are praying unto Him to answer a question or meet a need; really think about the Name that He is known by that fits that situation, and use that specific name!

4. Ernie says:

Hi Velma,

Thank you so much for sharing the Names of God. Although, I might add, in the book of Genesis 1:1 - all the way to the book of Daniel 7:9, 13 - I find only 16 names relating to the God of the Holy Bible.

However, I have an idea, why don’t we invite the Bible scholars and those who read, pray, and meditate daily on His word into this dialog; to tell us how many NAMES OF GOD they come up with.

Should be interesting, don’t you think? So, the discussion is now open, any comments? Anyone?

trueloveexpress

5. Natamsa says:

Nice post !!! Nice Blog!!!

6. Ernie says:

Thank you, Natamsa. I really do appreciate your comments , and your approval of my Blog. Glad you like it! So, what’s on your mind?
    It has been awhile since I posted, I’ve been busy with my music website. I’m sure I’ll get around to posting soon; as I have alot to say that should inspire & motivate all who follow my Blog.

trueloveexpress